Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Laundry Schedule


          Whenever I inform my husband that I am doing laundry, his response is always the same. “Are you watching the dryer spin?” As if the act of putting it in the washer and then switching it to the dryer was the only effort one needs. That is the easy part, knows anyone who actually does laundry (my husband sometimes “starts” it but never really “does’ it.)

          In the past weeks (okay maybe months) I found myself way behind on laundry. I was focused more on my workout schedule (upcoming race) than my laundry schedule. With this said, I also realized, I didn’t have a laundry schedule. I would tend to choose whichever hamper looked the most likely to bubble over.

          I decided to develop a Laundry Schedule. First I had to determine what a manageable number was. One load of laundry a day, with hopefully a weekend day off was manageable. Next was the when, I place the load in the washer at night (with a time delay so it washes about an hour before I get up), I switch it to the dryer first thing in the morning, then fold and put away when I get home from dropping the girls at school.

          In creating my schedule, I kept in mind every day is different. I looked at which mornings were busier than others and planned to have easier loads those days. The easiest laundry haul to put away is Jacob’s (my three year old) – he has a huge dresser and all his clothes fall into 4 categories: shirts, shorts, pjs, and undies. I can get his clothes folded and put away in ten minutes while he and Ryan play in the room on his train table. Thursday is my volunteer day, which means time is very limited. I made sure Jacob’s laundry fell on Thursday. My girls make up the hardest day. They share a room, so with just that everything is doubled, add in dresses, skirts, shorts, and ball gowns – you get the picture – not easy.

          The best schedule is one that is visual and easy to follow. I decided to create a schedule I could hang in the laundry room itself. I was semi-crafty about it. I am sure there are tons of really elaborate ones on Pinterest and I encourage you to explore those. For me, I wanted something functional and fast. I also didn’t want to start something that I couldn’t finish within 20 minutes. I decided to use a framed picture I was no longer using and some glass-writing pens.

          My schedule is straight forward, it includes the day and the hamper :). It begins Sunday and ends Friday. I go by the evening I am placing the clothes in the washer, even though the bulk of the work is being done the following day.  I added a * section for workout clothes to be daily/as needed. (I usually just add them in to the scheduled load).



          Here’s what my schedule looks like:

 

Not too Fancy but it works



          As you develop your own, ask yourself the following questions:



1. How much laundry is needed per week?

2. When do I have time to do it?

3. Are there some days I have more time than others?

4. Should I schedule a no laundry day or two?

5. Should I incorporate a swing or catch-up day?

6. What type of visual works for me?

7. Where will I keep my schedule?

8. Will any other family members be part of the process?



          Once you have worked through the above process, create the laundry schedule that works best for you and your family. Hope this helps you as much as it has me.

No comments:

Post a Comment